User Tag List

Thread: Transferring Runtime Files (.mer) To PanelView Plus Using USB Flash Drive

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Transferring Runtime Files (.mer) To PanelView Plus Using USB Flash Drive

The ability to transfer Rockwell Software's FactoryTalk View Machine Edition runtime files (.mer) to the PanelView Plus and PanelView Plus 6 using standard USB Memory Stick (aka USB flash drive, USB thumb drive) is a handy feature, if you know how to do it.

In most cases, you'd typically download the runtime file (.mer) directly to...

Click here to view the full article.
    Looking for affordable automation training? If you are, check out my courses at TheAutomationSchool.com!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Update: Check out the most recent article on this subject here:

https://theautomationblog.com/how-to...anelview-plus/
    Looking for affordable automation training? If you are, check out my courses at TheAutomationSchool.com!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Transferring Runtime Files to PVP using TightVNC

When downloading an application to a customer via tight VNC - update communications is checked. Everything works fine until power is lost - the PVP will then try to load the previous version loaded in the PVP, however, it has been deleted since there is a new version. Is there a way around this?

If we use the ME Transfer Utility, it works fine, however not all customers have that installed on their machines. We Team Viewer into a lot of customers, and then transfer the files to their computer, then open tightVNC, and transfer to the PVP.

Thanks for your help

Kristi Prafke

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Good morning Kristi,

Great question (and for any new users reading this, I do cover this in my PanelView Plus course, PVP Basics.)

The PanelView Plus Start-up application can be set using either the Transfer Utility (via the Run Application at Startup checkbox,) or in the PVPlus Configuration Menu.

Also, if your new .MER file has the same name as the old file that is set to autorun, if you manually overwrite the old file with the new file, the new file will automatically run on startup.

Now what I've seen most people do in the field is copy a new .MER file (with a new name) over to a PVPlus, then run it, but when power is cycled the old file attempts to run because the user never set the new file (with new file name) as the one to run on startup.

That, or they don't check the run at startup checkbox in the Transfer Utility.

I also explain in my course that a lot of people enter the Config Menu, make the Autorun change, but don't click on OK to save the change so it isn't saved.

With all that said, if you're still having issues it might help to share your PVP PN#, Firmware ver., and ViewStudio ver, since they all have subtle differences.

Hope this helps,

Shawn Tierney,
    Instructor, The Automation School

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I have been using tight VNC to transfer my files to PVP 7 - the original transfer will work, however if the PVP is powered down, or a loss of power, the application will not reload.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Good morning Kristi,

As I said, if you copy a file to the PVPlus and Run it, that doesn't make it the default application.

Shawn Tierney,
    Instructor, The Automation School