0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Insights Inbox: How do I make a PanelView Plus trend historical

In today's edition of "Insight's Inbox," we answer a reader's question on how to make a PanelView Plus or View Machine Edition trend contain historical data.

Reader's Question:
    Im using FactoryTalk View Machine Edition and I would like to make my Trends historical so I can scroll back in time to view previous data on...

Click here to view the full article.
    Looking for affordable automation training? If you are, check out my courses at TheAutomationSchool.com!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Additional or external memory Required?

Does the logging go to internal memory or do you have to have additional external memory?

It appears you can only put one logging file in the startup. Is there anyway to specify more than one logging model on startup because obviously if you have different polling rates for different data points (ie: motor current vs. tank level) this would make you put everything in at the same polling rate consuming more bandwidth and memory than necessary.

I know some would say just use change of state to solve this but that's event driven and watching something like motor current would cause you to collect even more data again than you want.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Hey Stem Apps,

Q1 - Does the logging go to internal memory or do you have to have additional external memory?

Check out the DataLog setup for custom log path options, and also check out the free add-on, Data Store Plus:

https://theautomationblog.com/datast...lk-viewstudio/

Q2: It appears you can only put one logging file in the startup. Is there anyway to specify more than one logging model on startup because obviously if you have different polling rates for different data points (ie: motor current vs. tank level) this would make you put everything in at the same polling rate consuming more bandwidth and memory than necessary.

This is an option with ViewSE but not ViewME. I've used "On-Change" effectively to get around this limitation, as well as the free Data Store Plus add-on.

Q3: I know some would say just use change of state to solve this but that's event driven and watching something like motor current would cause you to collect even more data again than you want.

The minimum change percentage will filter out most "jitter", but if you need all the options your asking for you may want to either check out Data Store Plus, or get a PC and low screen count ViewSE runtime since ViewSE can run 20 datalog simultaneously AND log directly to an ODBC database like MS SQL Express as shown in my course, ViewSE Basics:

https://theautomationschool.com/cour...basics-course/

Best of luck!

Shawn Tierney,
    Instructor, The Automation School
    Looking for affordable automation training? If you are, check out my courses at TheAutomationSchool.com!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Is it possible to add tag to trend during run application?

Is it possible to add tag during a panel view is running?

I've added tags to dalalog and I want to select which tag i want to see each time on trend?
    How can I do it? It would help to investigate.

Thank you in advance!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by noonnoonnoon View Post
    Is it possible to add tag during a panel view is running?

I've added tags to dalalog and I want to select which tag i want to see each time on trend?
    How can I do it? It would help to investigate.

Thank you in advance!
    At first glance I would suggest using tag placeholders in your trend and then pass the tags you want to show in the trend to your trend graphic via different display buttons and parameter files, as I just don't see a way to toggle the visibility via a button in ViewME...

Best of luck!

Shawn Tierney,
    Instructor, The Automation School