Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Suggestion needed for a Rockwell PLC for demo purposes

Hi,

I frequently demonstrate automation product (that we make) to various customers.

Our system uses an AB7007 Anybus gateway that connects to the customers PLC (usually Rockwell PLC) via Ethernet IP, the automation product connects to the Anybus gateway via RS485 (using proprietary serial ASCII protocol).

Something like this
    PLC << EthernetIP >> Anybus Gateway << RS485 >> Automation Product

I was thinking the demonstration would be more effective and instructive, if I use a small demo PLC (Micro or ControlLogix) to connect to the Anybus gateway.

The customer can try out various programs, to interact with the automation system, also providing a hands-on experience of the system.

I have gone through the Rockwell site, I think the Micro850 (type: 2080-LC50-24QVB) series looks suitable.

Could anyone advise if this supports Ethernet IP ?
    Do I need the CCW software for this PLC ??
    Could I use the free RSLogix software version instead??

Also any idea of the pricing of the CCW software and the Micro 850 (Type: 2080-LC50-24QVB) ?

This kind of trainer (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIaPVK2coj4) should also be suitable, however I am not sure if I qualify for this??

I like to know what figures are involved so that I can plan the budget.

thanks
    a

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    @arbj,

My recommendation would be based on your budget, which you didn't mention.

The A-B PLC's that program with free software and have Ethernet are:

Micro800 Family: Micro820 and 850 (CCW)

SLC-500/ MicroLogix Family: MicroLogix 1100 (RSLogix Micro Starter)

As far as CompactLogix, you could get a "L1" or "L2" for under $1000, but the programming software is around $900 when not part of a starter pack.

There's also the 5380 experience kit I unbox in this video and comes with a 1 year license of Studio 5000 software: https://theautomationblog.com/compac...xperience-kit/

If you decide to go with the Micro800 or CompactLogix, I would highly recommend calling your local Rockwell Rep and asking for prices on "Starter Kits or Starter Packs" since anyone can purchase one of these kits.

As far as Ethernet/IP support, all A-B Ethernet PLCs support peer to peer Ethernet messaging, but only the CompactLogix and ControlLogix also support controlling I/O directly over Ethernet.

Hope this helps,

Shawn Tierney,
    Instructor, The Automation School
    Looking for affordable automation training? If you are, check out my courses at TheAutomationSchool.com!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

RE:

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Tierney View Post
    @arbj,

My recommendation would be based on your budget, which you didn't mention.

The A-B PLC's that program with free software and have Ethernet are:

Micro800 Family: Micro820 and 850 (CCW)

SLC-500/ MicroLogix Family: MicroLogix 1100 (RSLogix Micro Starter)

As far as CompactLogix, you could get a "L1" or "L2" for under $1000, but the programming software is around $900 when not part of a starter pack.

There's also the 5380 experience kit I unbox in this video and comes with a 1 year license of Studio 5000 software: https://theautomationblog.com/compac...xperience-kit/

If you decide to go with the Micro800 or CompactLogix, I would highly recommend calling your local Rockwell Rep and asking for prices on "Starter Kits or Starter Packs" since anyone can purchase one of these kits.

As far as Ethernet/IP support, all A-B Ethernet PLCs support peer to peer Ethernet messaging, but only the CompactLogix and ControlLogix also support controlling I/O directly over Ethernet.

Hope this helps,

Shawn Tierney,
    Instructor, The Automation School

Thanks Shawn for the helpful reply.

Sorry I forgot to mention budget, I was thinking around $500 should be sufficient.

Unfortunately $1000 is too high for me at the moment, as the demo is just an additional tool for helping the customer to learn more about the automation system. Its very likely they will be using CompactLogix or other higher end PLCs.

However the Micro820 series comes within my budget and as CCW is free, I could easily work out a demo program for my customers.

Our automation system uses a proprietary serial RS232/RS485 based protocol that is unlike MODBUS-RTU/ASCII. We are using the Anybus gateway (type: AB7007) to interface this to the customer's Rockwell PLC using Ethernet IP.

This is the Anybus gateway used
    https://www.anybus.com/products/gate...---ethernet-ip

I have identified a specific Micro820 model (2080-LC20-20QBB), however I am not sure whether this would be compatible with Anybus gateway. I could also go for the Micro850 series (2080-LC50-24QVB), however this could stretch the budget a bit.

Do you think Micro820 is suitable for connecting with the Anybus gateway?

Rockwell link
    https://literature.rockwellautomatio...g001_-en-p.pdf

thanks
    a

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    @arbj,

Since the Micro800 and CompactLogix both support EthernetIP but are different, your best bet might be to ask your local distributor to borrow a Micro800 and CompactLogix, and then spend a day trying both to understand how much they differ and to be sure the Micor820 will fit your needs

If the Micro820 will work, ask your distributor for a price on the Micro820 alone, and in the starter pack.

Hope this helps!

Shawn Tierney,
    Instructor, Insights In Automation
    Looking for affordable automation training? If you are, check out my courses at TheAutomationSchool.com!