Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

SLC 5/05 Prog. Loss after power cycle

Hi Shawn
    The scenario : SLC 5/05 loses it's program after a power cycle. I can still see and connect to it's I/P address remotely and redownload the program and it's fine. 1st concern is why would the processors IP address remain if all of the logic was truly gone?
    I replaced the battery after the first time, even though the battery light was not red. After the second time I replaced the processor. After the 3rd time, I concluded that it may be a power supply problem . BTW, the SLC PS2 power supply is not being used for external, only the rack.
    So now, I've replaced the power supply, battery and CPU . I had to reload the program again after replacing the power supply, but haven't cycled power again to test this last attempt at a fix.
    My concern is that something related to the program may be causing the processor to default to an altered state of 'no executable program' but a valid I/P address still remains?? . This is a validated cGMP enviroment so program change control is in place and the chances of an unauthorized program change is very unlikely.
    Any insight is appreciated, and I have to mention that I wrote you a week ago about a Panelview 1000 that has been periodically losing it's runtime for no apparent reason. We haven't had any recordable power bumps lately, but these cabinets do get there power cycled occasionaly for various reasons.

Thanks
    Sorry for the epic description here,

Joe T

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by terlija View Post
    Hi Shawn
    The scenario : SLC 5/05 loses it's program after a power cycle...

Thanks

Sorry for the epic description here,

Joe T
    Good afternoon Joe,

Your best bet in the short run is to put a memory module in this unit and set it to load on corrupt memory - that should get you out of the woods until the issue is resolved.

Now let me take a stab at listing all the reasons I know for a SLC-5/05 could lose it's program after a power cycle

- Power Surge / Spike

Whenever lighting strikes nearby a plant, people typically call support saying they've lost their programs.

I've also see the same issue when a large load is on the same power feed as the Control Panel, since some large loads can cause their own surges when they are power cycled.

* This is also what I think is likely your issue, and installing a memory module as mentioned above would at least mitigate it.

I know trying to trace down power issues can be time consuming, so I'd suggest troubleshooting this by temporarily putting in a low cost UPS on the P2 feeding your 5/05 to see if it makes the problem go away (no surge or spike should make it through the UPS, well unless it's coming in on the panel ground which is less likely imo.)

- No/Dead Battery, No Memory Module / EEPROM, and being off for several hours.

Keep in mind the SLC-5/05 has a capacitor to hold the program for short periods, so if you lose the program during a quick power cycle the battery is likely not the issue

- Memory Modules / EEPROM incorrectly loaded

I have seen people load these with everything from blank programs to programs for other processes, all of which could result in a controller fault.

Please let us know how you make out!

Shawn Tierney,
    Instructor, TheAutomationSchool.com
    Looking for affordable automation training? If you are, check out my courses at TheAutomationSchool.com!