Thread: Is the SLC-500 still viable?

Is the SLC-500 still viable?

I recently received a message from someone who had just purchased a used machine with a SLC-500 based control system...

Click here to view the original article on The Automation Blog
    Looking for affordable automation training? If you are, check out my courses at TheAutomationSchool.com!

I haven't built a SLC500 project lately (9/2018) but I have two or three customers that still have the SLC500 robot cells still running with SLC5/05 processors. Just looked and one of those I did 10 years ago. It took me a long time to get them to change to a CompactLogix a few years back for newer projects.

Quote Originally Posted by tspisak View Post
    I haven't built a SLC500 project lately (9/2018) but I have two or three customers that still have the SLC500 robot cells still running with SLC5/05 processors. Just looked and one of those I did 10 years ago. It took me a long time to get them to change to a CompactLogix a few years back for newer projects.
    Thanks for your post tspisak!

I think a lot of people did their final SLC-500 projects around 10 years ago - sometimes people stay with what they know until the price starts climbing.

That said, I'm impressed Rockwell can still make so many of these 28 year old parts!
    Looking for affordable automation training? If you are, check out my courses at TheAutomationSchool.com!