Thread: Micrologix 1100 + Touchscreen + laptop connection devices that are required

Micrologix 1100 + Touchscreen + laptop connection devices that are required

Please can you verify some information:

So everything I need to have is (to communicate through three of these devices):

1. Micrologix 1100 Processor Unit (1763-L16BWA)

2. Micrologix 1100 Relay Output Extension Unit (1762-OW16)

3. +Touch Screen MT81021E that is ethernet compatible to AB PLC'S + rockwell df1 support software communication (rs232) - will this touch screen work ?

4. Serial Programming Cable (RS232) (1761-CBL-PM02)

5. High-Speed USB to Serial Adapter, as you recommended me (USA-19HS), connecting the RS232 cable to a Laptop

6. Some Ethernet switch

2. Could you also help me with SLC100 on ML1100 replacement

We use SLC 100 + output relay extension unit: models 1745-LP103 and 1745-E105 : what kind of extension model of ML 1100 do we need to buy, so we had the same power/voltage (and other things) rates when we replace it.

ML extension unit should be 1762-OW16, and main processor unit 1763-L16BWA. Is that right ?

Thank you!

Sincerely,

Igor

Good morning Igor and happy Friday!

Yes, your 1763-L16BWA can use up to four 1762-OW16 relay output modules.

To compare the current carrying capabilities, check out the below manual and compare it to what you already own:

http://literature.rockwellautomation...n009_-en-p.pdf

And yes, you do have the right cables for serial communications BUT since the ML1100 has Ethernet you really just need Ethernet cables and a Switch.

As far as the HMI, I would recommend PanelView 800 as it has Ethernet and Serial communications ports and programs with free software.

That said, I've never used the model you mentioned, so I can't confirm if it works.

Hope this helps,

Shawn Tierney,
    Instructor, The Automation School
    Looking for affordable automation training? If you are, check out my courses at TheAutomationSchool.com!

Thank you so much! You helped me a lot.

Have a nice week!

You're very welcome xtws!

Have a great weekend,

Shawn Tierney,
    Looking for affordable automation training? If you are, check out my courses at TheAutomationSchool.com!

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Tierney View Post
    You're very welcome xtws!

Have a great weekend,

Shawn Tierney,

Hi guys

Sorry to barge in but im a newbie to Allen Bradley
    Im trying to connect to Micrologix 1200
    and PanelView 800.I have connected to them separately but whenever i try using connected componets i cant connect.

This happens when i want to insert tags into the HMI programme. It asks for a PLC and i have tried changing the PLC name and then Select Existing Device
    Nothing works.
    Last edited by gridwhite85; 07-05-2018 at 05:58 AM.

Hey GridWhite85,

In CCW you need to setup the PLC with the same settings you MicroLogix 1200 has for the channel you're using (like channel 0) like DF1 Full Duplex 19.2K etc.

See this link for more info: https://rockwellautomation.custhelp....il/a_id/725540

Then you need to be sure you have the right cable. For some reason I think the PV800 uses the 1761-CBL-PM02 and not the 2711 version.

Please let us know how you make out,

Shawn Tierney,

Hello Mr.Tierney!

I successfully connected all devices together, also downloaded a program to a PLC (checked the work of terminals). All works well!

Thanks for all your tutorials.

Soon, I will have to connected the I/O devices to PLC, I found a wiring schematic for my expansion unit, as well as, for main processor. ((The models are 1762-ow16 (ser a rev a) +( 1763-l16bwa ser a rev c))

http://literature.rockwellautomation...m001_-en-p.pdf (from ab.com document.)

page 51, 52, 59. Are those pictures are just an example, or it's an internal connection (what I can suppose, that's not).

Sinking or sourcing:

Type Definition
    Sinking Input The input energizes when high-level voltage is applied to the input
    terminal (active high). Connect the power supply VDC (-) to the input
    groupís COM terminal.
    Sourcing Input The input energizes when low-level voltage is applied to the input
    terminal (active low). Connect the power supply VDC (+) to the input
    groupís COM terminal.

If I am gonna use DC for inputs and AC for outputs, do I need to use sinking wiring method ? (We are also planning to buy some additional expansion unit, for analog sensors that will use AC).

It also says that:

The 24V DC sensor power source must not be used to
    power output circuits. It should only be used to power
    input devices (e.g. sensors, switches). See Master Control
    Relay on page 2-26 for information on MCR wiring in
    output circuits.

So I can't use 24VDC supply that's located on the top nearby inputs ?

And can I buy an additional power supply that is gonna suply 24VAC for my outputs (output devices require 24VAC) instead of using 24VDC or 240VAC.

And the last question :O, if some devices (like actuators, push buttons) require some Amps, how can I know that plc can work safe with them?

Thank you!!!!!

Igor

Good morning Igor,

Question 1:
    I think this excerpt best describes the ML1100 Base DC Input Wiring:

"Any of the MicroLogix 1100 DC embedded input groups can be configured assinking or sourcing depending on how the DC COM is wired on the group"

Basically, each group can be wired as sinking OR sourcing.

I find it helps my students to think of a group of PLC input circuits like a bank of resistors with one side of each resistor wired to a unique terminal, and the side off all the resistors wired together to the group's DC COM.

So if DC COM is connected to +VDC, to complete the electrical circuit the input device, i.e. the switch/transistor your wire to the input terminals, need to switch -VDC.

As an example, in my course I had a mix of devices with PNP outputs and NPN outputs.

So I wired DC Com for group "one" to -24vdc, and then wired my PNP devices to the group "one" inputs.

And group two's DC Com I wired to +24vdc, and then I wired my NPN outputs to group two's inputs.

Question 2:
    Built-in DC Power Supply

This is only for use with the inputs - there's not a lot of power there (250ma?) and therefore it's only to be used to power low powered inputs like sensors.

Question 3:
    Outputs

You'll find all the details about the ML1100 base relay outputs in the below doc, and I don't see that it is rated for 24vac:

http://literature.rockwellautomation...n001_-en-p.pdf

That said, if you also have any high amperage devices you want to control, use an "interposing" external relay between the PLC output and your device to insure you don't overload your outputs.

PS - Don't forget about surge suppression if you have any inductive loads, as discussed on page 43 of the below:

http://literature.rockwellautomation...m001_-en-p.pdf

Hope this helps,

Shawn Tierney,

You're welcome Igor!