Thread: Replacing a PLC-5 on DH+ with ControlLogix?

Replacing a PLC-5 on DH+ with ControlLogix?

Look for some guidance.

I need to replace a PLC-5 on a system that has a lot of DH+ comms.

There are a few PanelViews, VFDs, and another PLC-5.

So, do I need to edit all of those programs to communicate to the new ControlLogix tags to get them to work?

Hey Sam,

If my memory is correct, the 1756-DHRIO can use the “Map PLC and SLC Messages” feature in RSLogix/Studio 5000 to map DH+ requests from other devices on the DH+ network.

So you can map addresses like N7 (or just file 7 in the tool) to an INT array in the ControlLogix.

This is how we use to integrate PanelViews with Logix when it first came out. I also believe this works with any DH+ request including messages with PLC-5s.

Since I haven’t done it in a while, I would suggest checking out the below Rockwell technotes:

https://rockwellautomation.custhelp....SLC%20Messages

Aside from that, any MSGs in the old PLC-5 you'r replacing will also need to be reworked to go through the DHRIO, and that process should also be well documented in the Knowbase.

Hope this helps!

Shawn Tierney
    TheAutomationBlog.com
    You can support The Automation Blog, The Automation Minute, and The Automation Forums for as little as $1 a month and in return get free stuff from The Automation Exchange! Find out the details at Patreon.com/Automation.