0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

DataStore Plus "step by step" setup in FactoryTalk ViewStudio

Earlier in the week we described what the DataStore Plus ActiveX was. Today we walk you through the steps you need to...

Click here to view the article.
    Looking for affordable automation training? If you are, check out my courses at TheAutomationSchool.com!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Using DataStore on a PanelView Plus 6

I would like to know if the methods outlined in this thread are so data captured historically could be sent to ao USB or SD Card for extraction later via csv file format. Is this true? How would you be able to remove the device when you want to see the data without harming the process?

Thank you
    Carissa

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Issues for On Demand Style logging

Just wanted to give whoever is reading this a heads up. I ran into this in the field, and found that these ActiveX objects are NOT intended to be used for "On Demand" logging, meaning they are not intended for the PLC to actually trigger the individual logs. It was designed to be a purely TIME-BASED logging setup, where the "Enable" is supposed to be left on for long periods of time. The reason for this is that if the Enable is not set during the midnight transition, the object will not make a new file for the next day, but instead continue writing the log entries in the previous day's file, until the log enable just so happens to be enabled during that transition, and only THEN will it create a new file. I wrestled with this for months, unable to explain why the files would seemingly just randomly generate, but there would be several days to several weeks' worth of entries in a single day's file. There was no rhyme or reason to when the system would generate a new file, and as far as I could tell, I had it set to start a new file every day, so my work was done.

Then, finally, I found the technote that mentions the midnight transition, and how logging has to be enabled during this in order to facilitate the file name change. I was logging at intervals that included midnight anyway, but since the time between the HMI and PLC is not always perfectly synced, I just extended the time to ensure they'd be on at midnight. Unfortunately, I would create situations where there would be "multiple logs" for certain times. At any rate, it wasn't a "clean" solution.

But, I did find a workaround that, as far as I have lab tested so far, seems to work well. In a nutshell, you take the file name control away from the ActiveX Object and give it to the PLC. By periodically (about once an hour) syncronizing my PLC and HMI clocks, I can make sure new files are created and the entries are stored in the correct day flawlessly and cleanly. In the PLC, I create several string tags and, using conversion and concatenating instructions, "assemble" the log file name in the program, based on the current date. I then point the field in the ActiveX setup to that tag instead of typing it out. This also gives me the option to easily change where the file goes on the fly, in case my customer connects the HMI to their network and wants those log files to go onto a server folder, without having to edit the HMI program.

I tested it out in the office here, and it worked wonderfully. I was able to change my PC's date, and it created a new file. I even changed the date back, and the object would simply append the existing file with the new entries.

If you're using this to log data on an "On Demand" basis, this is the way to do it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Thanks for sharing your experience brstilson
    Looking for affordable automation training? If you are, check out my courses at TheAutomationSchool.com!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CarissaG View Post
    I would like to know if the methods outlined in this thread are so data captured historically could be sent to ao USB or SD Card for extraction later via csv file format. Is this true? How would you be able to remove the device when you want to see the data without harming the process?

Thank you
    Carissa
    Not sure how I missed your post but I do believe the newer versions of this ActiveX has been upgraded to address this?

Before that, we would use a batch file on the memory stick to "copy" the csv file from the internal storage to the USB stick like I show here:

https://theautomationblog.com/how-to...anelview-plus/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ft 8.1

Halo.
    I am trying the steps above using Factory Talk View V8.1 but I am unable to complete steps 3 through 5 because I am not seeing other options on the explorer such as Startup and Global Connection. Please assist.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Hey Bellgast,

While this article is from 2013, ViewStudio ME 8.1 still has Startup and Global Connections.

Are you trying to use it with ViewSE? Datastore Plus will work with ViewSE, but this procedure won't as it's ViewME specific.

Sincerely,

Shawn Tierney,
    Instructor, The Automation School

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Thanks Mr. Shawn. I forgot to state the platform that I am using. I am using ViewSE. Please help me steps on how to set Data Plus in SE. Thanks in advance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Bellgast,

Well, if you are sure you don't want to use the built-in Data Log features of ViewSE you can use the ME DataStore Plus in View SE, but the procedure is different because ViewSE is different.

If you are familiar with ViewSE, create a screen, add the ME DataStore Plus ActiveX to it, setup ME DataStore Plus, and then configure your project and the graphic display so it opens when your client opens, and only closes when your client closes.

Also keep in mind that if you are running a client server system, the ME DataStore Plus will be running on each individual client PC that launches a client window.

Best of luck!

Shawn Tierney,
    Instructor, The Automation School

PS - If you're not familiar enough with ViewSE to follow the above, you may want to consider my ViewSE course here: https://theautomationschool.com/cour...basics-course/