Thread: I want to learn A-B PLC's, which model should I get?

I want to learn A-B PLC's, which model should I get?

This is a common question I get here on the blog and from my students at TheAutomationSchool.com.
    And while Rockwell has released many different platforms since 1970, there's one current gen and one last gen I usually recommend.

Budget Minded
    First let's assume you're on a budget and need to get started as quickly...

Click here to view the full article at TheAutomationBlog.com
    Looking for affordable automation training? If you are, check out my courses at TheAutomationSchool.com!

Hi Shawn,
    Not sure where to post or ask about this but I have a "program" written by a PLC company that I would like to run/test out on my local pc without being connected to the controller. It's for a Compactlogix 1769-L33ER controller on a skid 1000 miles away from me. Is there a way to do this? I'm not a PLC guy so don't know all the details needed, but in general would like to be able to "view" and go through the menus as if I was standing next to the machine. Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffR View Post
    Hi Shawn,
    Not sure where to post or ask about this but I have a "program" written by a PLC company that I would like to run/test out on my local pc without being connected to the controller. It's for a Compactlogix 1769-L33ER controller on a skid 1000 miles away from me. Is there a way to do this? I'm not a PLC guy so don't know all the details needed, but in general would like to be able to "view" and go through the menus as if I was standing next to the machine. Thanks in advance.
    Good morning JeffR,

To view a CompactLogix program (online or offline) you will need a copy of Studio 5000 (v21+) or RSLogix 5000 (v1-20) (today you buy Studio 5000 and also get RSLogix 5000)

To run or test a CompactLogix program you will either need a physical CompactLogix (your local rep may be able to loan you one for a two week period) or you'll need to purchase a copy of Emulate 5000 (which is not inexpensive and you may need some help from your local rep to get it running:

https://www.rockwellautomation.com/r...x-emulate.page

PS - Always check the software minimum requirements as some packages won't run on Windows "Home" operating systems,

Hope this helps,

Shawn Tierney,
    TheAutomationBlog.com
    Looking for affordable automation training? If you are, check out my courses at TheAutomationSchool.com!

Thanks Shawn! Appreciate the reply. I'll contact our local AB rep.

You're welcome JeffR!

If you go with a hardware and/or software solution, as them if they have any "Starter Packs" - they a priced lower than buying the individual hardware & software.

Best of luck,

Shawn Tierney,
    TheAutomationBog.com