User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

micrologix 1200 networking

I don't have these plcs hooked up to any sort of process, i'm just trying to get them to talk to each other and to rslinx. I have 2 micrologix 1200s, each of which is connected the mini-din of a 1761-net-aic. I have a third aic+ connected to a USB to serial converter. all 3 of the AICs are wired together by rs485. i've tried configuring the plcs as df1 master and df1 slave with the PC running the slave driver, and also both plcs as df1 slave with the pc running the df1 master polling driver. they do not show up in rslinx. am i trying to use the wrong driver, or could the AIC be messed up? is there any way to test the AIC?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good afternoon @spacehitchhiker42,

The easy way to use the AIC+

The AIC+ were originally released to allow Micros and other devices to communicate on DH-485.

That said, they are truly just 232 to 485 converters and can be used for pretty much any serial communications.

I've even had networks of third party devices on them using ASCII.

That said, the simplest way to get your Micros talk is to use DH485 and set all devices to the same baud rate but unique addresses. Use 19.2K on the AIC not auto.

Insure the AICs are powered, and the network is wired per the manual.

Then have one ML1200 read from it's own N7:0 (source) and write to the others N7:0 (destination) every second.

If it's working you'll see the AIC lights flicker every second indicating it's working. To see this in action check out my video below:

http://minute.theautomationblog.com/...-2-episode-31/

Now onto your PC - sadly, you may not be able to get the AIC+ / DH485 driver to work on your PC, especially through a USB to Serial converter since the heartbeat is too fast. This is why you can't use DH485 with Rockwell's own 9300-USBS.

Using the AIC+ with DF1

As far as setting up a DF1, as you mention you have to use Half Duplex as Full Duplex is only point to point.

While it should be possible to set one Micro as the Master (some Micros can't be a master) and Linx and the Other Micro as slaves, it's quite complicated.

The best documentation I've seen on doing this is in Rockwells "SCADA" guide which you can grab from their literature library at AB.com.

PS - If you have to get the DF1 half duplex option working and need help for a small fee I can create proof of concept for you

Hope this helps,

Shawn Tierney, The Automation Blog
    You can now support The Automation Blog and get free downloads from AutomationFiles.com and AutomationTutorials.com with a "Premium Membership" for as little as $3 a month! Find out more HERE.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    so then if i connect 2 AICs to a serial adapter and run terminal programs, then i should see text on one terminal appear on the other, right? just in case i can't get dh485 to work, how do that thing you did with ascii?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good afternoon @spacehitchhiker42,

Yeah, the AIC+ only converts 232 to 485, and like I've said I've used them to network a bunch of ASCII serial devices back to a SCADA PC.

To get your two PC's running Hyper Terminal or similar program working you'll need:
    - Set each AIC+ to the same baud rate (auto doesn't always work)
    - Insure both AIC+'s are powered
    - I believe the AIC+'s 9 pin dshell is a DTE port so you'll need a null modem or cross over serial cable, but refer to the manual to be sure about this.

If you can't get DH485 to work, I would try DF1 Full Duplex.

Backing up, it sounds like you really just want the two PLC's to exchange data, but you didn't mention if your 1200's have one or two ports. Assuming they are the one port variety, you'll probably want to also be able to disconnect the two PLCs and to plug your PC in for programming.

If you use DH485 but don't purchase a 1747-UIC then you'd need to press the DCOMM button before connecting your PC to program them.

Otherwise, you could setup each 1200 for DF1 Full Duplex, but you would only be able to have two devices connected at a time - so either two PLCs, or one PLC and one PC.

Either way, you'll be using the MSG instruction to send data from one PLC to the other, but with DH485 you'll need each device to have a unique address.

And either DF1 or DH485 would be easier then transferring data using ASCII read and write commands!

Good luck,

You can now support The Automation Blog and get free downloads from AutomationFiles.com and AutomationTutorials.com with a "Premium Membership" for as little as $3 a month! Find out more HERE.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @spacehitchhiker42,

The PM02's with the Mini-Dins are Null Modem cables designed for DTE to DTE connections so you should be all set.

PS - Are you a HGTG fan? (I am :-) )

Sincerely,

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I finally got it to work with dh485. I think the problem before was I had the msg instruction by itself on a rung, but now I have it controlled by an input. I got it to display a binary number on the outputs and the number counts on both plcs when I push the button on one. And yes, I am a Douglas Adams fan.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @spacehitchhiker42,

Excellent! Yeah, I usually trigger my MSGs with Timers so I don't overfill the channels que.

Good to here from another Douglas Adams fan (and someone who knows the significance of the number 42) too!

Sincerely,

Shawn Tierney
    The Automation Blog

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i guess i didn't see the thing about low-high transition at first. have you been watching the new Dirk Gently series?

anyways, thanks for the help. it'll really help with these festo stations we've been working on
    Last edited by spacehitchhiker42; 12-06-2016 at 01:32 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @spacehitchhiker42,

No, I need to check it out!

Which Festo's are you using (if you don't mind me asking)

Sincerely,

Shawn Tierney
    The Automation Blog

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm currently at a technical college and we have some MPS stations. they fell out of use 3 or 4 years ago, so now we're working on getting them running again