User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Getting Allen-Bradley (A-B) Programmable Controller data into Excel using RSLinx Classic

If you would like to display data from your Allen-Bradley PLC or PAC in Microsoft Excel, and have a licensed copy RSLinx Classic (aka RSLinx,) it can be accomplished using a few simple steps we'll cover in this article.

But first, lets identify which copies of RSLinx (aka RSLinx Classic) are licensed...

Click here to view the full article.
    You can now support The Automation Blog and get free downloads from AutomationFiles.com and AutomationTutorials.com with a "Premium Membership" for as little as $3 a month! Find out more HERE.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Two Part Question

Hey Shawn,

First, if I need to capture data (counting parts and tracking downtime) from 18 PLC's, would it be better to use a single spreadsheet and move the data from a live spreadsheet to a different sheet (same workbook) titled the machine name, or just use multiple workbooks, each with a livedata sheet and a captured data sheet?

Second, is it possible to use a log data trigger from the PLC? When the machine is stopped/Faulted I start a timer to determine downtime and what I want to do is log downtime once the machine has started. Is there a way to set up handshakes?

Thanks for your time

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good morning @Gedd,

Q1) If it were me I would use one sheet to collect all the data, and then display that data in other sheets in the same workbook because this way I would only have one sheet to configure to read PLC tags.

Q2) There's a couple of different ways to do this.

- One way is to have Excel read from an intermediate data table instead of a raw data table. Then you only copy the data you want into the intermediate data table. In other words, only copy the data to the intermediate data table when you have a downtime so that's all excel sees.

- The other way is to use SyTech's XLReporter which has too many features to count (including recording data base on triggers.) If you want to learn more about what their product can do just give SyTech a call at 508 520 9957 and tell them Shawn said XLReporter sounded like a good fit for your application.

Hope this helps,

Shawn Tierney, TheAutomationBlog.com
    You can now support The Automation Blog and get free downloads from AutomationFiles.com and AutomationTutorials.com with a "Premium Membership" for as little as $3 a month! Find out more HERE.